Living in Paris can be as challenging as it is romantic—particularly as far as a student budget is concerned! Yet whilst some things will be more expensive, others will be cheaper than what you are used to in Britain. The difference can be seen in a basic shopping list. This page is courtesy of Parlons, the ULIP newspaper:
A litre of milk 1.06€ 1kg of apples 2.10€ Free range eggs 2.50€ Sliced bread 1.40€ Toilet rolls 1.70€ Washing-up liquid 1.39€
But all is not lost, since the French are renowned for good food (or so we hear) and bargains can be found if you're prepared to sample the local delicacies. When in Rome...
Baguette 0.90€ Croissant 1€ Camembert 2.50€ Espresso 2€ Bottle of wine <2.50€ Packet of cigarettes 6.70€ 40g tobacco 7€
Going on a night out can end up costing a fair amount, at 5€ for a pint of beer, and 8€ for a decent cocktail… However, all is not lost! This is the very reason why happy hours were created, and why we take full advantage of them over here! On a good night out, a pint can be found for 3€ and cocktails for around 5€, but wine is always the best bet for those living on a shoestring, with a fair-sized glass of house wine available from 2.50€ upwards.
A couple of tips for the living the student lifestyle in Paris include:
• Leader Price - a French Netto, where you can do an entire weekly shop for less then 18€. There are also Lidls dotted around the city and you know that's a bargain.
• Imagine R - a student travelcard costing around 38€ per month, which allows unlimited travel on the metro, RER, trams, buses, and even the navette fluviale!
• Free offer a great mobile deal at €20 a month with free calls to english landlines, a great way of calling home!
• Vintage clothes are very affordable and mixed with the infamous British style, you'll be fighting off the admirers. Head to friperies like Free'P'Star (8 rue Ste-Croix-de-la-Bretonnerie) and its sister Fripes Star (Rue de la Verrerie) in the Marais or flea markets to grab yourself a bargain.
• Similarly, Tati (M° Barbès) sells just about everything from cutlery to wedding dresses to chairs for next to nothing and has several big shops around Paris. It couldn't be easier!